When we ask folks what insects bug them the most (pun intended!), we hear a variety of answers. The team at Clegg’s thought it would be fun to put together a list of the 5 most annoying pests in North Carolina. In no particular order, they are:
- Fire ants: Having recently stepped in a small mound while in bare feet, these annoying creatures rank high on the list. You often don’t notice them until they begin stinging, and the venom burns. The pustules hurt and itch and can even leave scars. If you are allergic to fire ants, you may end up with trouble breathing and a trip to the local emergency room.
- Millipedes: We had calls from across the state this year as millipedes were out in large numbers. While millipedes do not bite or cause damage, they will enter your crawl space or house through small openings, especially if conditions are dry and they are seeking water. Millipedes don’t usually live long indoors, due to their requirement for high moisture, so focusing on the outside areas where they nest is the best option. Remove excess mulch near the foundation of your house and ensure water drains away from the house.
- Termites: Most people don’t give termites much thought…until they find damage to their homes. Recent estimates show termites cause damage in excess of $5 billion a year to homes and property. Subterranean termites eat items containing cellulose, like wooden structural members of a house and personal belongings (books, paper, pictures, etc.). Moisture draws termites, so make sure your crawl space and foundation are kept dry and cracks are sealed. Termites can cause significant damage to your home if you don’t keep an eye out for signs and take immediate action. An annual inspection by a licensed pest control company, and preventive termite treatments are your best bet to avoid these hungry insects.
- Yellow jackets: This pest increases in number throughout the warm summer months, and can quickly ruin your weekend picnic or weekly lawn mowing expeditions when you disturb them. Yellow jackets live in large colonies, usually underground, and are extremely aggressive when disturbed. There is often little sign of an active nest, but you’ll know you have a problem if you step near their nest. Their stings are also painful and many people are allergic to their venom.
- Bed bugs: The resurgence in bed bugs over the last several years has caught many people unaware. These insects are hitchhikers, traveling easily on clothing or belongings to take up residence in homes and other establishments around the world. Bed bugs have been reported in hotels and hospitals and everywhere in between. It can only take one mated female to be the cause of an infestation. If you believe you have brought home bed bugs, get them treated as quickly as possible by a professional.
Well, that’s our top 5 list. If you’ve got other pests that bug you, we’d love to hear from you! Post your comment below or on our Facebook page.