- Stag Beetles currently house about 1,200 species with some growing up to 12 cm. The majority however are approximately 5 cm.
- They can be a variety of colors including yellow, orange, red, or black.
- They get their name due to their mandibles resembling the antlers of a stag.
- Males will use these “antlers” to wrestle other males over mating sites and food sources such as sap.
- Although their outward appearance may come across as menacing, it is very uncommon for Stag Beetles to be aggressive towards humans.
Contact Clegg’s for an inspection of your North Carolina home!